Subject: Re: New LW add and the simpsons?
From: [email-masked] (Gord Davison)
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 21:34:16 -0700

>On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Adam Ives Chrystie wrote:
>> 
>> Well in jurasci, we know lightwave 3.1 was used for storyboarding..Golden 
>> Eye??? I heard rumours that a lense flare was used.. but the simpsons??? 
>> Anyone anyone?? i know DPI used theri own software to make the 3d simpsons.
>> 
>> Adam Chrystie LightWave 3D Animator
>
>	I always wondered what they did that Simpsons 3D episode with... 
>It looked mighty nice... Anyone know more about this?
>
>						.. adrian ..

As mentioned, Pacific Data Images used their own proporietary software to
animate the Halloween Special. The Oct/Nov issue of Animation magazine had
a feature story on the episode, if you're interested. Here are a few facts 
and figures:

- PDI did a total of 3 1/2 minutes of 3D "Homer",
- the building in the 3D world is an exact replica of the temple from Myst,
- Viewpoint Data Labs used toy Barts and Homers as well as model sheets to
  help digitize the models.

The inside jokes were quite funny, like when Homer declares "I feel like I'm
spending a fortune just standing here".

==========================================================================
 Gord Davison                      | 2D/3D Animator � Multimedia Designer
 Phoenix Interactive Design, Inc.  |
 graphics � animation � multimedia |   "Complex problems have simple,
 [email-masked]             | easy-to-understand, wrong answers."
==========================================================================